Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Book published by Ash, a University of Oxford poetry magazine

This poem, A Book, is published by Ash a premier poetry magazine at the University of Oxford. I sent a few but the editor Lanvinia Singer said this poem suits the theme of the magazine this time which is on recreation. The acceptance letter I got which I wish to share with you all:

Dear John Tiong Chunghoo,

I am delighted to tell you that I have decided to publish your 'A Book' in thelatest Ash. I so enjoyed reading your poems, and it was hard to choose betweenthem. But this one seemed to fit the theme 'Recreation' most suitably and lentitself to the magazine as a whole.

With best wishes, Lavinia

It is always a great pleasure to be published. I hope you love this poem and find it meaningful.

these page-locked words
that imprision the world

within each turned page
an opened door to paradise
where we meet friends
without seeing them
witnessing their smiles, tears,

all in the quiet of the mind or
a journey to hell where we pound
our heads against wall only to
find the quiet moon at the barred
window glaring at our stupidity

the mighty ocean
of the human mind
each of these page locked words
oozes into, soak up characters
as each trudges in the mind
that turns each word into gold
or handcuffs it into bondage

the world rocks with each turned page
a ship in tempest ocean

an eagle gliding in the clear blue sky
for good, for bad


a newly created angel awaits his trial
for all the imprisoned words on the shelves
an opened door at the deepest recess of

my mind where they could stand
in a new line to meet a new world
for good for bad

by john tiong chunghoo

Ben Gieske (4/26/2008 3:39:00 PM) I enjoy reading this poem with all the strong images and wide open meanings. You might find my poem, 'This Thought' interesting too.

Sulaiman Mohd Yusof (3/6/2008 2:39:00 AM) a book is my another world.thanks for the recalling..............

marvin brato (2/15/2008 4:55:00 AM) Quite an eye-opener for every bookworms out there, 'the mind that turns each word into gold or handcuffs it into bondage' Brightest leaders may lead his people into prosperity or doom, its depend how he uses his knowledge for good or bad!

Riquetta Elliott (12/7/2007 11:05:00 AM) I like this John it talks about books and reading. It also talks about pages in the book has words to read especially vocabulary like this in the 15-16 lines: 'mighty ocean of the human mind each of these paged locked words oozes into, '

Alicia Patti (2/19/2007 12:29:00 PM) I love poems about books and reading, and this is another fantastic feat of yours. You do have a way with words. I especially like: 'the world rocks with each turned page' Yes, it does, indeed. I am so glad I found you here! Please read my poem, 'Books'. Would appreciate your feedback. best, alicia

Raghavan Warrier (12/25/2006 6:04:00 PM) Imprisoned words on shelf. So true. Excellent poem

Aisha Sherazi (5/12/2006 6:03:00 AM) I loved this John, it was amazing. All true, the feelings we get and the images we create when reading. A new world, time and place indeed. I am so excited about introducing my son to this new world. But being a little boy, he would rather explore the world first hand! You have reassured me that the day will come when he can explore it through the written word too!

Raynette Eitel (5/14/2005 8:27:00 PM) This is packed with wonderful imagery. I particularly loved 'just-created angel'. Thank you for this wonderful poem, John.

Poetry Hound (5/9/2005 3:14:00 PM) Very well done, John.

David Gerardino (5/9/2005 1:51:00 PM) like the poem-as a fellow reader i get the point, i wish other peaple would do the same, like some of my own family.................

No comments: